Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Australia: 3 Bar or 4 Bar?


 Aside from West US servers, the other playable server for me would be the Australian server, but it's 4 bar ping since August has recently dropped back to 3, means it now has 200+ms ping again, which equals distant servers like South/East US.

Wondering why, I did a quick investigation:

 First I did a traceroute test to identify the route it takes for signals to travel to Australia from where I live





 Node 1 is ,of course, my wifi router. from node 2-6 it's my ISP. and then comes the tricky part, from 7-9 it shows these nodes are hosted by ntt.net.

 And who's NTT? well it's one of the leading ISPs from "Japan". Wait a second, aren't we connecting to Australia? what the hell does Japan has to do in this?

 I looked into the connections between TW, JP and AUS, turned out it's like this:



 The red line in the picture is one of the submarine cable system between Japan, Guam, and Australia, called "Australia-Japan Cable", or AJC. So apparently my signals are forwarded in Japan before sending to Australia.

 Other routes can be seen in the pic, too. On the west coast of Australia there are two other lines called JASURAUS and Sea-Me-We 3. They are shorter in length but have less bandwidth compared to AJC (1,000Gbs). So it's understandable that my ISP chose AJC for connections to Australia, even though it makes a detour.

 But the problem doesn't lie in AJC, for 12,700km it takes only 125msm which is remarkable. It's the connection between my country Taiwan, and Japan.

 As you can see in the traceroute chart, signal travels to Japan already takes up 90ms.. which should be no more than 50ms (30ms if my ISP isn't this !@#$). The possible cause would be that the bandwidth limit to NTT in Japan is too low so it's constantly in traffic jam...

 This is the reason why I don't play on Japan server much. But sadly same sh*t is now happening on Aus server too....

 "Tragic" is the only word I can think of to describe our internet connectivity....




0 comments :

Post a Comment